Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lessons Learned

Since my time up north is done, I thought I'd highlight my time there, with some fun. So, here's some things I've learned...BUT may never use again!


This picture is two lessons in one. First, don't have a frig, but want cool water? Then fill the jug, put a sock-like cover on it, wet it, and set it in the window. The breeze will keep it cool! Second, I've somehow learned to consume ridiculous amounts of hot tea in one sitting. My highest day count has been 9 cups. Not sure at what count I can then get away with refusing it. Still waiting on the rule book to be published.


Preparing a bull's meal. He's not too interested in the dry stuff, till you wrap some green around it...


Now we're talking!


Grinding the mill. This lady was gracious enough to teach me, but I couldn't match her endurance on it!


I learned to tell time. No, not like knowing the difference between Eastern Standard Time and here...but their OWN time. Apparently, some people, especially in the villages, haven't given into the World Time Zones, but have kept their old system. For example, this clock reads 6:20. But it was really lunchtime- 12:20 to be exact. It's a good thing to know, so when they ask me to visit at 4 in the morning...I know they mean 10am. Weird, I know.


Although it's not 20 liters of water like these women...they did convince me of their ways. (Linz took this on our Red Sea trip.)


Even though I knew the world was small...it got smaller! Some visitors and I toured a big mosque in the capitol and met this guard, who told us about it. Sure enough, I found out he was from one of the exact villages I had surveyed! It was cool.


I learned not to take pictures of the women...as they'll all tell you is culturally shameful. That's why not many are on here. But there's some other creative ways to 'document' my times with them. :)

No comments: